All natural stone countertops are sealed upon installation using a top-of-the-line sealer. Future maintenance required is determined by the type of surface installed. In general, lighter colors are more porous than darker colors and require sealing more often. In order to determine when your tops need to be sealed again, we recommend using a simple water test:
- Pour a bit of water on the counter. 1/4 cup should be enough.
- Note the time that you placed the water on the counter and time the water to see how long it takes to absorb (the granite will darken).
- Now use this chart to determine how often (if at all!) you need to seal your granite countertop:
- Immediate absorption: Apply a couple layers of sealer annually and wipe spills quickly
- 4-5 minutes: Multiple layers of sealer needed , but only re-do every 3-5 years. Use this water test again before reapplying
- 10 minutes: Apply a single layer or sealer, may be many years before reapplication is needed.
- 30 minutes (or doesn’t absorb): No need for sealer!
We have several different sealers and cleaners available for purchase. We are also certified installers of the Stonetech Bulletproof Sealer by DuPont. This sealer comes with a 15-year residential warranty and covers all granite, marble and quartzite options for countertops.